WHY IT’S IMPORTANT TO DEVELOP YOUR CHILD’S BALL SKILLS..
Our son has been on school break and we survived it somehow, with little to no complaints about being bored or requests to go back to school. Usually, the request to go to school is a clear sign to us that he is bored with being at home.
Ball skill is a bit of a challenge for our son. His ability to catch, bounce, throw and kick a ball, for example, requires a little more attention. At his age, he should already be comfortable catching a ball the size of a tennis ball.
By improving his ball we’re helping develop his:-
- hand-eye and foot-eye coordination
- a sense of timing
Activities that we will be attempting to improve his ball skills will include:-
- kicking and chasing a ball around the garden
- trying to catch a ball – about the size of a balloon – with both hands
- pushing and rolling a beach ball around the garden on the grass and up a wall
- use a rolled newspaper to bat the beach ball around the garden
- throw a ball into the air and catching it
- start with a beach ball and drop the size of the ball until he is catching a tennis ball
Loads of fun for both our young man, dadD and our helper. Well, I’m hoping that they will be able to create a few awesome mornings and/or afternoons with our young man improving his ball skills. On the weekend it will have to be our son and I at the local park kicking around the ball, my contribution
Are there any other ball skills you’ve used with your toddler?
I’m sure that if we make it fun for our son, he will embrace all the ball activity. We all just need to have some patience with him as it’s all for his benefit in the end.
Blows my mind how something so simple has a sizeable list of consequences if not addressed early.