CUNARD WELCOMES SAME-SEX MARRIAGES ON ITS ICONIC THREE SHIPS
Luxury cruise brand, Cunard, has welcomed its first booking by a same-sex couple following a recent Supreme Court ruling enabling same-sex marriages in Bermuda, where Cunard’s fleet of ships is registered.
The ruling means that Cunard, which has offered weddings on its ships for the past five years and has married over 250 couples, is one of the first British cruise lines to be able to conduct same-sex wedding ceremonies at sea.
Simon Palethorpe, Senior Vice President, Cunard said: “This is very welcome news for us and I am delighted that we have become one of the first British cruise lines to take a booking for a same-sex wedding. We look forward to welcoming this couple and many other couples too.
He added: “Cunard is the main sponsor of Southampton Pride this year and we are delighted that we are now able to offer same-sex marriages at sea across our fleet of world famous liners – Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. What finer background to a wedding than the world’s most iconic and glamorous ships.”
Wedding ceremonies will be performed by the ship’s Captain* and the marriage license will be issued by Bermuda.
Same-sex couples can now purchase a Cunard Wedding at Sea package, which includes:
- A romantic ceremony at sea conducted by the Captain*
- Wedding ceremony venue with floral arrangements
- Traditional wedding music
- Services of the onboard Wedding Coordinator
- Attendance of a professional photographer at the ceremony
- Commemorative wedding certificate
- An official copy of the marriage certificate
- The cost of the license fees
- A bottle of Champagne in the cabin on arrival
- Champagne for a toast after the ceremony
- Invitations and thank you notes
- Wedding outfit pressing service
For more information about Cunard, or to book a voyage, contact your Travel Consultant, call Cunard Line at 1-800-728-6273 or visit www.cunard.com.
For travel agents interested in further information, please contact your Business Development Manager, visit OneSource or call Cunard toll free at 1-800-528-6273.
*If the Captain is unable to conduct the ceremony, the Deputy Captain will be asked to conduct on their behalf.